Start date: TBD
End date: TBD
Not in the Montreal area? Distance option available. Contact us!
Virtual and augmented reality technologies are quickly becoming part of everyday life. From 3D video games to augmented reality industrial tools, immersive interactive experiences are being adopted by virtually all industries. Now is the time to jump into an industry that is in full expansion.
Augmented and virtual reality tools and interactive media are currently being developed and deployed by a plethora of industries. Notably, the video game sector (VR and AR), which has a very strong community in Montreal, is leading the pack. However, many other industries (health care, education, real estate, to name a few) are adopting this new media in order to train future staff and create immersive marketing platforms. Briefly, the sky is the limit where VR/AR is concerned and we are only getting started.
The goal of this program is to prepare students for employment in the domain of augmented and virtual reality development and deployment – a fast growing employment sector. Choose one of three (3) concentrations: VR, AR and/or 360 degree immersive media productions, produce a professional portfolio and complete an industry internship all within 12 months of study. Your career in virtual media awaits! Designed for adults who do not have any prior academic training in this field of study, the intention of this program is to enable graduates to begin successful careers and provide a sound foundation for further education and career development in this employment sector. Prospective students who already have related experience and/or training are encouraged to participate and may be awarded course substitutions.
Most importantly, the area of augmented and virtual reality development offers everything that an individual would want in a career. Are you creative, curious, passionate and interested in the future of interactive media? If yes, excellent salaries, creative workplaces, and immersive fun awaits!
Other benefits include:
- Tuition-free training program
- Access to virtual reality development lab
- Internship and start-up support
- Opportunities to network with important industry professionals
Graduates of this program would be prepared for employment in positions such as VR/AR developer, deployment specialist, interactive media developer/designer, 3D animator, business application programmer, advertising designer, game developer and graphic designer, to name a few.
The Virtual & Augmented Reality AEC Program (NTL.1K) consists of sixteen (16) credit AR/VR courses, for a total of 1080 hours.
- 420-104-LA - Introduction to VR/AR Technologies - 60 Hours
- 420-105-LA - Programming for VR 1 – Python & Algorithms – 90 Hours
- 574-101-LA - Scriptwriting & Storyboarding for VR – 60 Hours
- 574-102-LA - Immersive 3D Architecture – 90 Hours
- 589-101-LA - 360° Videos - Dimensional Video & Audio Capture – 90 Hours
- 420-204-LA - Programming for VR 2 – C# & Unity – 90 Hours
- 574-201-LA - UX/UI & Human Body Perception Systems – 60 Hours
- 574-202-LA - Experiential 3D Animation – 90 Hours
- 420-205-LA - Software Development Kits & Hardware – 60 Hours
- 589-2A1-LA - VR Portfolio 1 – Planning & Pricing – 60 Hours
- 420-304-LA - Programming for VR 3 – C++ & Unreal – 90 Hours
- 574-301-LA - After Effects and Post-Production – 60 Hours
- 589-3A1-LA - VR Portfolio 2 - Production & Presentation – 60 Hours
- 574-501-LA - VR Internship – 120 Hours
Candidates must have a Quebec Diploma of Secondary Studies or a High School Leaving Certificate or have received instruction deemed sufficient by the College. Candidates must also submit proof of having completed one of the following high-school math courses, or equivalent: Math TS4, Math SN4 or Math CST5. There are no entrance exams required but interested candidates will be asked to submit a curriculum vitae (CV) along with a letter of intent. Submitting a portfolio of relevant professional work is encouraged, especially in cases in which candidates have already worked in related industries. Candidates may be required to take an appropriate remedial course(s).
In order to be admissible to this program, students must meet the following criteria:
- Possess a high school leaving certificate
- Prior completion of high school math: Math TS4, Math SN4 or Math CST5
- Students must demonstrate a passion and desire to work in this industry by submitting a letter of intent and a portfolio of relevant work with their application.
- Applicants will also be asked to submit their curriculum vitae (CV) and may be interviewed for English-language ability.
- Further details
You are eligible to register in a program if you are a:
- Canadian Citizen or
- Permanent Resident or
- Holder of a valid Student Visa
And you can provide proof of previous studies deemed acceptable by the College, for example:
- A Quebec Secondary V Diploma or a Diploma of Secondary Studies or equivalent scholarity or
- A College Diploma or a University Degree or
- An “Évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec” or
- Partial high school studies, coupled with a recommendation from a current or former employer that you would benefit from pursuing your education at the post-secondary level.
And you meet one of the following three conditions:
- You have not been a full-time student for at least two consecutive terms or one school year within the last 12 months.
- You are part of an agreement between the College and an employer, or you are sponsored within the terms of a government program (for example: CSST, Emploi-Québec).
- You have completed at least one year of post-secondary studies spread over a period of one year or more.
- $30.00 Application fee (non-refundable)
- $145.00 for registration fees (per semester, with 3 semesters total)
- $300.00 for books (approximately)
- $650.00 for Oculus headset and gestural controls (approximately)
- $100.00 – $200.00 for parking (if required)
- Further details
All new students must pay a $30.00 application fee the first time they register for a program. This fee is non-refundable.
Tuition / Registration Fees
- Part-time: Students taking less than 180 course hours per semester in a program must pay $25.00 per course ($5.00 registration fee + $20.00 auxiliary services fee).
- Full-time Students: Students taking 180 course hours (or more) per semester in a program must pay a registration fee of $145.00 ($20.00 registration fee + $125.00 auxiliary services).
Please Note: If your student status changes within a given semester, from full-time to part-time, or from part-time to full-time, all fees will be recalculated. You will either be charged the difference or given a refund.
Foreign Student Fee
- Part-time: Foreign students must pay $29.48 per course hour.
- Full-time: Foreign students must pay $6,059.00 per semester.
Fees for Non-Residents of Québec*
- Part-time: Non-resident students must pay $7.36 per course hour.
- Full-time: Non-resident students must pay $1,508.00 per semester.
- Students who can provide the official Birth Certificate from the Province of Québec are deemed to be residents of Québec for purposes of the regulations. No further documentation is required.
- Students born outside the Province of Québec or Canada and who have been living in Québec for the past twelve months or longer can provide a copy of their valid Québec Medicare card and, if deemed necessary by Continuing Education, a copy of their 2015 “Property Tax Bill” or 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 “Rental Leases.”
- Also considered as Québec residents are individuals who meet other criteria that allow them to be considered as Québec residents for purposes of exemptions from the non-resident fees. The type of acceptable documents vary, and details should be requested in each case by calling the Continuing Education office at (450) 672-7364.
*Applicants Who Were Not Born in Québec
As of the Fall 2000 semester, the Ministry of Education requires that new students, as well as students who are returning to study after an interruption or who have changed their program of study, will have to demonstrate that they are deemed residents of Québec in order to be exempt from new fees that apply only to non-residents of Québec. These new fees are required of non-residents who take any course or courses that are fully or partially subsidized by the government of Québec. The fees for non-residents will be applied according to the following schedule.
There is a fee of $6.00* per day or you can purchase a special parking pass for the month, semester, or year. You must provide your license plate number in order to purchase your parking pass. Parking passes will be sold at the beginning of classes. No refunds on tickets or parking passes.
*Subject to change
Course Withdrawal – Credit courses
Students can officially withdraw from credit courses within the first 20% of the course. (Example: Within the first 9 hours of a 45 hour course, 12 hours of a 60 hour course, etc.). Courses which have been dropped officially within this timeframe will not appear on the student’s transcript. Students who are registered for 180 hours of courses during a given semester hold a full-time student status. Should a student choose to withdraw from a credit course(s) and as a result of this their student status changes, all fees will be recalculated. Students will either be charged the difference or sent a refund. If, after the official withdrawal date, students stop attending courses in which they are registered, they will receive the grade cumulated at the time they stopped attending.
Also, by withdrawing from a course(s) within your Attestation program, it may make it difficult or impossible for you to continue with your program at that time or it may delay you in the completion of your program.
To avoid academic consequences on your permanent record (such as a failing grade for a course you did not complete), you must withdraw officially before the withdrawal deadline for each course. Requests for official withdrawals must be done in writing. The appropriate form for withdrawal is available from the Continuing Education Office (F-107). You may also send an email indicating your intentions to withdraw to email@example.com.