Residential Real Estate Brokerage (AEC – EEC.1Y)
Evenings and Weekends
Start date: May 7, 2018
End date: April 2019
Schedule: Three evenings per week (Monday through Thursday) from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. and on alternating weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Subject to change.)
This training program is open to all candidates who meet the admission requirements below.
The Real Estate industry in the province of Québec went through a major change in terms of the laws that regulate the activities surrounding a real estate transaction. The new Real Estate Brokerage Act (Bill 73) was sanctioned on May 28, 2008 and came into force on May 1, 2010.
Under the new Real Estate Brokerage Act, Real Estate Agents will become Residential Real Estate Brokers and Real Estate Brokers will become Agencies.
The purpose of the Residential Real Estate Brokerage Program is to train both Real Estate Agents and Real Estate Brokers. The regulatory body that oversees the Real Estate industry, the OACIQ, has established seven (7) competencies which new Residential Real Estate Brokers should have developed and mastered in order to act ethically and responsibly in their real estate brokerage practice.
- Acting ethically and responsibly in one’s brokerage practice
- Managing one’s professional activities in the field of real estate
- Making use of general and special rules of law in brokerage transactions
- Assessing the quality and the various building elements of an immovable
- Estimating the market value of a residential immovable
- Carrying out brokerage transactions pertaining to the sale, purchase, leasing or exchange of a residential immovable
- Distinguishing the basic principles of mortgage financing
This three-semester program is designed to provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to demonstrate that they have attained these seven (7) competencies required by the OACIQ. In order to obtain a license to practice in Québec, candidates must meet the education criteria of the OACIQ, as well as write an exam* with the OACIQ. The examination has been designed based on this competency framework.
*The OACIQ exam may be written in English or French. Those who choose to write the exam in English will be required to prove, before they are issued their license, French language competency, as per the regulations. OACIQ exam fees are not included. You may consult the brochure of the L’office québécoise de la langue française: Le français, un tremplin pour exercer une profession au Québec.
The Residential Real Estate Brokerage program consists of eleven (11) credit courses, for a total of 570 hours.
- 221-001-LA – Introduction to Residential Real Estate Brokerage – 60 Hours
- 221-002-LA – Real Estate Property Law – 60 Hours
- 221-003-LA – Real Estate Business Law – 60 Hours
- 221-004-LA – Real Estate Brokerage Act – 45 Hours
- 221-005-LA – Communication Skills in Real Estate – 45 Hours
- 221-006-LA – Residential Construction – 45 Hours
- 221-007-LA – Real Estate Mathematics – 45 Hours
- 221-008-LA – Residential Real Estate Appraisal – 45 Hours
- 221-009-LA – Residential Resl Estate Brokerage Contracts – 60 Hours
- 221-010-LA – The Promise to Purchase – 45 Hours
- 221-011-LA – Presentation of the Offer to Purchase – 60 Hours
Candidates must have a Quebec Diploma of Secondary Studies or a High School Leaving Certificate or have received instruction deemed sufficient by the College. Although French is not a component in this program, any candidate who wishes to be successful in Quebec must assure that he/she has sufficient mastery of the language. Prospective candidates will be asked to submit a curriculum vitae (CV) and may be interviewed prior to admission to the program to verify their qualifications. Potential candidates may be required to take an appropriate remedial course(s).
Please see admission criteria concerning programs.
Program Cost (Subject to change)
- $30.00 Application fee (non-refundable)
- $145.00 for registration fees (per semester, with 3 semesters total)
- $550.00 for books
- $100.00 – $200.00 for parking (if required)